Here are the 6 primary categories of ecommerce mistakes, in ‘chronological’ order:
- Critical Business Mistakes – We’re looking at your fundamental business model here. If you screw this up, even the best website and marketing won’t save you, because nobody’s interested in buying your stuff.
- Marketing Mistakes – You have a valid solution, but your customers don’t even know about it. How do you find your first customer? This is about lead generation.
- Common Website Mistakes – You have customers who want to buy your wonderful products, but your site is broken.
- Customer Experience Mistakes – Your site works, but it’s hard to use, hard to navigate, slow to load… just frustrating. Your customer lands, but leaves.
- Closing Sale Mistakes – Suppose your store is an absolute breeze to navigate. Despite this, some customers stay away- because of shipping costs, or missing information about return policies, etc.
- Post-Purchase Mistakes – Do you follow up? Do you measure what works? Do you work towards a community for your customers? This stuff is icing on the cake for smaller companies, but it could also be their competitive advantage.