Are you spending hours and hours at the gym each week trying to crunch your way to a flat belly? Stop right there! I’m going to reveal to you some surefire ways to get rid of the belly pooch for summer. And, it doesn’t require a single crunch or sit-up.
1. Focus on intense, total-body workouts
It’s nearly impossible to get abs with targeted exercises when there is a layer of fat on top. It’s better to focus on total-body workouts, like those in the Results app, that recruit many muscle groups at the same time. This will result in more calories burned and more overall body fat lost. When you are working out at an intensity level that is challenging for you, you don’t need to spend hours working out. Having a hard time pushing yourself to train hard? Try recruiting a friend to join you for your workouts.
2. Get that core strong
The best exercise to strengthen your core is the plank! And when your core is strong, you will get stronger overall. So get to know and love this exercise. Not only does the plank hit the core muscles hard, it also helps you improve your balance and strengthens your back and chest. Even your legs have to do some work. Make it your mission to try a plank variation during every single workout. You can find a lot of plank-based movements and variations in our Six Pack app.
3. Stay away from alcohol
I know I might have gotten a “BOO!” from the crowd on this one, but it’s really important. Not only is alcohol empty calories, but it releases estrogen into the bloodstream which, in excess, can cause you to put on weight. If you’re really serious about getting a flat belly for summer, keep your alcohol intake very minimal.
4. Take control of your eating habits
I say this all the time, but you can’t outtrain a bad diet. In fact, your eating habits are the key to revealing that flat belly. Here are some pointers:
- Get rid of all the processed foods, microwave dinners, fast food runs, chips, soda, etc. All the extra sugar and sodium will surely prevent you from getting rid of the belly pooch.
- Think whole foods: fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and heart-healthy fats! This fruity quinoa salad is perfect for summer and, when that sweet tooth acts up, sink your teeth into these deliciously moist brownies made with kidney beans!
- Drink plenty of water. This will prevent that extra bloat and help to boost your metabolism.